Propel is an Object Relational Mapping (ORM) framework for PHP5. It allows you to access your database using a set of objects, providing a simple API for storing and retrieving data.
Propel allows you, the web application developer, to work with databases in the same way you work with other classes and objects in PHP.
- You don’t have to worry about database connections or writing SQL — unless you want to.
- You never have to worry about escaping data or type-casting results (and here we just assume you don’t want to).
- You define your database in a simple XML format — whether you’re using MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, etc. — and Propel will create database initialization files for your database and will generate static classes and objects that provide an OO interface to your database.
- You can also point Propel at an existing database and it will create the XML datamodel for you.
- Propel can also generate other useful data based on the XML datamodel — for example, GraphViz dot files for generating ERD diagrams.
- Because Propel uses code generation, you don’t need to define your database structure to your PHP script at runtime. All the generated classes know about the structure of your database and so there’s no performance lost to initialization or to on-the-fly database metadata queries.